Free to be Yourself: Introduction to Practical Philosophy
Meet with like-minded others to explore profound, philosophic wisdom and integrate it into your life, under guidance from an experienced tutor.
A life spent more in the present, in the moment, in the now, is a life experienced more fully and richly. The people who matter most to you receive more of your attention. You become gradually more aware, more awake, more in tune, as you gradually discover the majesty and freedom of your own true self.
It all begins with our introductory practical philosophy course. Weekly group discussions, led by an experienced tutor, emphasise personal experience and practice over opinion and theory. No previous experience or qualifications are necessary - just an open mind and a willingness to put simple techniques into practice.
Our next course takes place in person on Tuesday evenings, starting September 2022.
If you’re looking for a way out to a wider world (Zoom-free), this could be it.
Here's what you can expect:
- Stimulating group discussions. Friendly and experienced tutor.
- A safe space to explore big ideas and questions with other open-minded people
- Introductory course. No previous experience required.
- Timeless wisdom from the East and West, supported by mindfulness and self-awareness practices
- Discover how timeless philosophical wisdom really can offer practical guidance and life-skills to help you meet real-world challenges of today
- 100% of our new Spring 2022 students said they would like to enrol for a second term (e.g. "What a brilliant course you have treated us to")
- Join at any point in the first term
- The course runs continuously so you can take a break if you need to and come back to complete the ten sessions later
- Special introductory offer: Five weeks: £30. Ten weeks: £50
- Early Bird offer: Ten weeks for just £40 if you enrol by 31 August
For those looking to explore more deeply, we offer follow-on courses, groups and mantra meditation - support for as long as you require, to make philosophy a way of life.
If you’re on the look-out for a way out to a wider world (Zoom-free), this could be it.
Our popular online version of the same course continues to be available, starting in September 2022 on a wide choice of days and times. Groups are made up of students from across the UK and beyond.
Special offer: £30 for 10 sessions online
Stay in touch with us here in St Albans for details of locally run follow-on courses you could join from September.
- “Absolutely loving the course!! …Really changing how I think about things and life in general.”
- “The daily awareness exercises … have changed my thinking and I feel more relaxed about situations in the media and other aspects of my daily life.”
- “...I am benefiting greatly from the content and the practical nature of it. Thank you, it is enriching my life.”
- ( All comments from academic year 2021/22)
Just want to be informed about future courses? That's fine too. You can subscribe using the register online links below.
Thousands of happy customers!
Over 4,000 people across the UK have enrolled for this online introductory course since March 2020.
Here are some more of the comments from our new students:
"Thank you for this great course, I am grateful for all the learnings and I feel amazing after each session and I go in society as a better human."
"I have really appreciated the practical nature of the course. It has definitely impacted my thinking and my life...I really like the Zoom break out rooms and the opportunity to engage personally with my fellow-students."
"Personal development was a key driver for myself and many people on my group. Also the interactivity of the course allows for engaging with similarly motivated people - learning through the practical experience of others."
The School of Philosophy, St Albans offers introductory courses in practical philosophy and tuition for a traditional vedantic method of mantra meditation. We have a range of modules and groups for our more experienced students. Over the past 50 years, we've helped hundreds of people from Hertfordshire and beyond to incorporate philosophic principles and practices into their often hectic daily lives.
To know more about our online course and drop-ins, register online for further details.